Sunday, November 05, 2006

Postmodernism Watchtower Style

Wow! Just this Tuesday, I posted an article on this blog about how the Jehovah's Witnesses were similar to and different from the Emergent. One thing I credited the JW's with was the fact that, since they believe in absolute truth, they have a message and go out "witnessing" to their message.

Well, low and behold! Just this afternoon, shortly after the Republicans came to our door and asked us to vote for them, there came two ladies. My wife said, "Here come some more, Honey. Maybe they're Mormons." I said, "No. They're too old and they don't have the little badge that says this guy with the peach-fuzz mustache whose voice changed last week is my elder. They're either Democrats or JW's."

JW's.

Scripture is clear; if someone is wanting to speak of spritual things we are obligated before God to tell them the truth. So, I relunctantly decided to speak to them and witness to Christ's deity. (Wow, am I a jerk! I have no right to be relunctant. I was just plain lazy.)

Here's the ironic part: After opening up the Scriptures and proving that the Watchtower had lied to them (I said "fibbed") the talker lady told me that we all have a right to our own opinions.

Now that is a really dumb thing to say if you're on someone else's door step telling them their religion is wrong and yours is right, but get this: Faced with irrefutable proof, she was wanting to leave quickly before she heard any more facts. And her excuse was that the truth didn't matter.

I politely told her that she did not have the right to just any opinion since God was going to judge her some day and that if she went to the next door, having spoken to me, she would know better. Therefore she would be lying and God would hold her responsible for that. Meanwhile, she was hoping I didn't notice she was backing up in mini-baby-steps down our driveway, trying to pretend that she didn't hate my guts for saying such a thing.

So there you have it. Even the JW's have emerged into just another epistemological zit.

In Christ,
Phil Perkins.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright  ©2007Phil Perkins - All Rights Reserved