Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Yep. Emerfibs, Alright.

What do you call it when someone lies outright while looking you in the eyes? Or while you're reading their book you just paid $19.95 for? Like when Brian McLaren tells us that doctrinal certainty came from modern thought, not the Bible. Or when Erwin McManus tries to tell us the gospel is too domesticating.

Well, the last time I visited my cousin, Buford, I came up with something. After a long day of seeing his farm, talking old times, and eating a big home dinner we sat on the porch and I showed him some of the latest Emergent books I've been reading. After I told him some of the more creative things they contained, he rocked back in his chair, gave a disgusted "Huh!" Then he raised an eye brow and drawled, "Emer fibs. Ya know that dontcha?"

And so, on a slow summer evening in the cornpone belt, was born the descriptive term emerfibs.

Phil Perkins. PS Buford may be imaginary...or maybe not...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil Perkins said...

mebbe yo is. mebbe yo ain't.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil,
I have have read with great intrest your posts on John Macarthur's web site. While some of it goes over my head it does give me lost of homework to do. I really apprecited your comments on your blog about Phil 3:10...that verse was a turning point in my life. I appreciate the fact you're not afraid to speak out and put your thoughts out there. Just wanted to let you know. You'll see me around from time to time. I'll be going to the Shepherds Conference in March, last year was my first...and it won't be my last. May God continue to bless you.
Eddie

4:31 PM  
Blogger Phil Perkins said...

Eddie,
Thanks for the encouragement. Pray for me as my whole life is a bucket full of question marks. I am going to go into full time work in discernment and worldview somehow if God will make a place.

Are you a pastor? You have a hard job. How do you take all the pressures? Sounds like you are a solid biblical man. God bless YOU!

In Christ,
Phil Perkins.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Copyright  ©2007Phil Perkins - All Rights Reserved